Friends. Marriage. Need I say more? All my friends know I tend to be rather possessive in nature. If you don't know it, I'm sorry but, you probably aren't a very close friend of mine. I feel like I owe all my close friends an apology for not being more understanding. I still don't like it but, I am more willing to accept driftwood's choices. No more bitterness for me..
Wind, oh wind, you are more than my enemy
More than that which I call my destiny
And I, the sea, live my lifeBy your whims,
I flow where you point
So, I thank you for my friend, the driftwood
You brought to me once upon a day
As I flowed and she floated
For miles and miles, we talked
And shared, she her tales of glory
And I mine, of immortality
An unlikey comradeship perhaps
Yet one nevertheless that passed our time
And flowered till we could no longer imagine
A life without the other
We rode out storms and torturous weather
Everything you could throw at us
We buffeted and bore,
You could bend but, could not break
Us, our spirit, our dreams
And, I thought, at last I was no longer alone
I should have known better
Driftwood and sea flowed on and on
Time passed, seasons changed,
And driftwood grew restless
She talked about the land, the shore
Where her people dwelled
Not so restless as wistful
I, friend that I was, promised her the shore
And, flowed towards it fighting the wind no more
Lo behold! I brought her to a sandy beach
Where she lay and soaked up the sun
We both laughed as though we'd achieved
All of our dreams but, for me there was a catch
Her dreams were not mine, her land but a obstacle
In my journey. Yet, for her, I stayed
By the shore. I, the mighty sea.
She made new friends, her kind of people
And, she'd tell me about what I couldn't see
What she didn't see was of more moment
Without realizing, driftwood drifted away from me
I'd fight with her then, and rage at the shore
For taking all I treasured. She'd calm me,
Tell me that while we would remain
We couldn't be all there was.
She moved on, to her greater things
And, though I stayed for a while
For her to return, I soon tired
And moved on. As I flowed away
I heard her calling but, didn't turn back
What was the point? We'd come to pass
And, you can't hold the sea forever by land
I'll always remember her, and I hope she me
But, we aren't anymore just driftwood and sea
She's bound to her kind, while I am free
At least as free as a sea can be
Wind, oh wind, who are more than my enemy
You betrayed me but, you also saved me
You showed me life holds more than memories
That you can't fix what's broken
Or win some things that are lost
I long now for my next adventure
And all I'll meet along the way
I trust in you, you'll guide me till the end
So, onward wind, goodbye driftwood, my once-upon-a-friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice blog :)
ReplyDeleteReally liked these lines:
Summer bloom dies as fall creeps inside
Our steps falter, our waltz no longer synchronized
We lose trust, give way to fear
So tell me, where do we go from here?
And can Tofu taste good?
Cheers!
Kaushik